Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's All About Perspective

Monday is usually a shopping day. The four of us will either hit Sam's Club, Albertson's, or Target. I never imagined I'd be able to do any kind of shopping with 3 little ones in tow. But, we've got a pretty good system down by now and the kids usually do just fine.

Monday is also usually the day I hear this comment:
You sure have your hands full!

I usually get that at least once.
I smile and nod.
It's true.
(Not sure if the remark is more about the cart full of 3 kids or the fact that I'm trying to push the cart with one hand and one elbow. The other hand is usually occupied by Starbucks.)

However, on a recent Monday, I was stopped by this sweet little woman. She had a very thick accent and some serious crazy old lady hair. She smiled at the kids and patted Lexi's hand. She turned her wrinkled face and kind eyes toward me. I smiled back at her and waited for the inevitable "hands full" comment.

And then she said:
My, you sure have... a lot of help!

For some reason, that really touched me. I just love that she had that perspective. To be honest, it was a little convicting too.

I was reminded of the importance of not taking these little moments with my children for granted. I was reminded that my "full hands" are something to be very, very thankful for.

6 comments:

Heather Brandt said...

I love this story today! Thanks for sharing this reminder about perspective.

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Rebecca Street said...

What a great picture!

Anonymous said...

Wow...what an amazing story, All in perspective, isn't it? It continually amazes me how once we have children they change and grow but I think it is us who does more of the changing and growing (and hopefully for the better)!

Starbucks was my friend pre-kidlet but even more so now. A must (even if it makes pushing the shopping cart harder!). So worth it...just like our kids!

Thanks so much for continuing to share.

Melanie Pinkus said...

Like others have said. Wow! Perspective indeed! Thanks for sharing this beautiful story and reminder. Its so great how your story continues to inspire us! Love you!

geegarland said...

Hey Chrystal~ I'm Gina Garland...we did Math Department head stuff in the CVUSD a few years back and my husband, Andrew, and I attended (Andrew was an Associate Pastor) Grace Church for many years, so we know the Mocabee family. I think we even played on a co-ed softball league together, maybe even before you and Scott married or soon thereafter....ANYWAY...I'm so encouraged by your story. It took ANdrew and I about 4 years to get pregnant and it was a rough time for us. Though it's not something people talk about, how conforting to have known, back when our paths crossed, that we were each possibly going through the same things. I keep you and your family in my prayers.

We have 2 children now, a 1 and a 2 year old. It's crazy. Last week on a shopping trip, during a very difficult week with the kids, an elderly woman came up to me, put her hand on top of mine, and patted it. Then she smiled and said to me, "You are a wonderful Mom". I have no idea why she said that, but I know the Lord put her there to encourage me. It was neat to see the Lord demonstrate His love for me....even in the midst of chaos.

Anonymous said...

The chicken pot pies look delicious! Ha! So crazy that I read this today...my husband and I got the same comment today at lunch (hands full)as we/I do quite often...what a wise lady to think of it that way! Thx for sharing....