Monday, January 26, 2009

These Shoes


I put these shoes on recently. It was the first time I'd worn them since July 2, 2008. How do I know? That was the day I walked through LAX, with my new little family of five, finally home. These were the shoes that I brought to Russia. Besides a dressy pair I brought for court, these black shoes were the only ones I wore for 28 days straight.

Putting on these shoes took me back.

Back to the brown linoleum floor in the entry of the orphanages... the smell of cabbage... and those little blue footies we put over our shoes when we came in.

Back to the soft green grass where we played with our girls... where we chased them and carried them... and prayed they would know we loved them.

Back to the crunchy brown dirt where Justin landed as he jumped off the swing or came down the slide... where several of his little friends clung to us and hoped we'd love them too.

Back to walks down cobblestone sidewalks, with a rickety double stroller and awe struck stares from the Krasnoyarsk locals.

Back to the too close for comfort elevator, where we rode up and down to the 4th floor at least a hundred times... where I could look in the mirror and gaze at my new family... and be awe struck myself.

Back to the vans, the traffic, the hotel rooms, the business centers, the fountains, the airports, the airplanes, the Embassy, Red Square.

Back to the exhaustion.

Back to the place where I was supported by the prayers of others... where I was protected by the love of my husband... where I humbly watched my God move mountains.

It was good to go back... for a few minutes at least. But I'll be honest, it's so much better to be here...

Here... where I'm still being supported... still being protected...

Here... where I will continue to face mountains...

Thankfully, I've got the shoes for the climb.

I lift my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven.... and earth
(including my mountains)
He will not let my foot slip
Psalm 121:1-3

2 comments:

Teseena said...

Amen Sister!

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing and I'm so blessed to have you in my life!
LOVE YOU!