Monday, November 10, 2008

"Let's think about it, Mama."

Justin and I have this little bedtime ritual. It started a few weeks ago. He'd been having a hard time. Just seemed so angry at everyone and everything. So, one night, as I lay down beside him, I said, "I feel happy when I hug my kids. What makes you feel happy?" And that was the start.

So now, every night, we read a book with the girls (or "the sisters" as he calls them), we say our prayers, and we sing our special songs. Then Justin will scoot down into his bed, pat the space on his pillow that he's left for me, and say, "Let's think about it, Mama." Which means he wants to take turns talking about what makes us happy.

Sometimes we're happy for little things like chocolate or new books. Sometimes we're happy for behaviors, like sharing toys or holding hands when we cross the street. That first night, one of the many things Justin said was, "I feel happy when Mama and Papa came to my "Big House" in Russia... and now we're a family."

Wow. I feel happy about that one too, buddy.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the times both of you will remember for the rest of your lives. You have a wonderful son, he will make you proud your whole life. Your daughters will too.

ITGFY. WEL,

Uncle Larry

Teseena said...

So sweet, and precious...what a blessing to have these sacred moments with your son, good times for you to reflect on when your stuck in the middle of a crazy day...

christian said...

Love that sweet reminder of how much he really loves you both and his life with you now.

Melanie Pinkus said...

Beautiful. Those times make the difficult ones all worth it. I will pray that Justin will have more and more better days and that any anger inside of him will be wrapped up by your love and the Holy Spirit. Love you!