Monday, May 18, 2009

(Poor) Lexi's Timeout

OK folks, I know Lexi has her own little fan club out there. (You know who you are... Stacy.) So this "time out" video will certainly garner Lexi some serious sympathy and most likely find my inbox full of mean mommy hate mail!

Let me set the scene. It's naptime. So our daily pre-nap routine begins. I send Natalie and Lexi upstairs to use the bathroom. I follow a couple of minutes behind. Natalie is finishing up in the bathroom and Lexi is already picking out the book she wants me to read. I'm certain Lexi hasn't used the bathroom yet, but still I ask:

Lexi? Did you go potty?
Yes.
(Of course, Natalie is chiming in from her toilet throne, No she didn't!)
Lexi? Did you go potty?
Yes.

Well, now she's lied, so I tell her to give me the baby she's holding and she has a time out.

Her cries for the baby were so desperate and pathetic. What was a mom to do... but video tape it?! I know. Big meany.






While I had the camera out, I decided to capture a little more. In our family, time out concludes with the child telling us why they had time out and apologizing. We talk about a better choice for next time and end with hugs and kisses. Generally, it works well.

You'll notice that when I ask Lexi the all important question, WHY did you get a timeout?... her answer, initially, isn't so much about the lying. And when she apologizes? I'm sorry because you takeuh my baby?! Although this happened several months ago, the phrase "Because you takeuh my baby" has become a bit of a family joke.






Go ahead. Altogether now. Poor Lexi!

In retrospect...
I guess I kind of set her up.
I knew she hadn't gone to the bathroom. I should have just said, OK Lex. Your turn to go potty.

The authors of every adoption book I've ever read will most certainly be marking me down. And I don't even want to see my score from the Russian judge.

Yup. Live and learn, folks.

8 comments:

Stacy Johnson said...

Please don't takeuh her baby again!!!! Poor, poor Lexi! I am definately her biggest fan, but you must remember that we only have boys here and oh, how I wanted a little girl!!! You're doing a great job Chrystal, but my little Lexi is welcome here anytime!!!

gaby said...

so now i know how to comment... and i have to say, like the "rock kicking" this video never gets old! :) keep blogging we love it!

Rebecca Street said...

That second video just about did me in. I had a mommy markdown moment this week too when I asked Jack the dumb question, "Do you need a spanking?". Of course, he tapped his face with one finger as if thinking about it before saying no. I definitely need to get that question out of my repertoire, and quick!

Janice said...

As adorable as Lexi is kudo's to you for being so strong. You handle things perfectly!! Keep up the good work, MOM!!!
Love,
Janice

Kristyna said...

You may be thinking that you should have handled this differently but props to you mom for the way you did handle it. How awesome that your daughter knows that she lied and knows that there is a consequence for lying. Way to go! I know that it isn't easy but you are doing an amazing job. Keep it up Chrystal!

Claire Fair said...

ok, that second video was hilarious...i had to watch it twice. why you takuh my baby?? love it. Nice job, BoGee.

Shannon Renee Photography said...

The leg kick gets me everytime!
~Uncle Peter

Beth said...

Ok, I think I might rival Stacy for the Lexi fan club. Love that little girl! She's a natural comedian and so "portable" I could just carry her everywhere - she's just the perfect size to put on your hip and haul her around (no long Katie legs to get in the way :) )