Wednesday, September 24, 2008

First Roadtrip

Scott was in Tennessee for a soccer tournament last weekend. Gone for 4 days.

So I got this crazy idea... scratch that... my friend Beth got this crazy idea... that I would load the kids in the van and make the 7 hour drive to my hometown of Vacaville and pay everyone a visit.

And that's just what we did!

Most people get wide eyed and gasp when I tell them I took a 7 hour roadtrip with 3 kids. But remember people... I spent 2 weeks in hotels and 20+ hours on airplanes with them! And unlike an airlplane ride, on a roadtrip everyone is strapped to their chair the entire time. I also revealed the van's DVD player for the first time.

The drive was long, but fine. Only once or twice I only found myself close to uttering, "I'll pull this car over right now!" The visit was jam packed, but good. We were able to see many people who hadn't met the kids yet, including my Papa, the kids' Great Grandpa. (By the way, Justin has asked 2 different times when Grandpa Al is coming to our house.) It was a fun 5 days. Exhausting for sure, but fun.

Vacaville will always be special to me. Most of my family is in town. My best friends are there. I still call it home. And now my kids have been there, and that makes it even more special.

Thanks so much to Auntie Beth for suggesting this crazy roadtrip and for letting us take over your house for a few days. Thanks to everyone for being so kind and gracious to us.

I have tons of pictures, but no time to go through and pick out the best ones to share with you. So, here's a slideshow of them all. A few things you'll see:
-Our outing to Kidfest (lots of booths with activities for the kids and nifty little giveaways, ie. goofy sunglasses)
- Get together at the park
- Family dinner at Aunt Paula's house

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Vacaville!

Ah, the memories....Was that Alamo park you were at? Right in my old backyard!:)

Wish I could have been in town. I hope one of these days our V-town visits coincide!

Great to see your gramps is still looking good. He still live in the same house?

So glad your trip was a success. Who else did you see?

Claire

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mamma! So brave of you but also needed! You go! The kidlets look like they had a great time and I really enjoyed looking at all the pics. Thanks for sharing!

The Levengood Family Story said...

I was so happy to meet your beautiful children and get a chance to visit a little with you : ) Come back SOON!
Love Melanie

Beth said...

I was thrilled to have you up here and at the house. What fun and drama! We've talked so many times about "the day" when we would both have children playing together, and finally that day arrived! :) I'm so glad you braved the road trip. Hopefully we'll be down there soon.
Lots of Love,
Auntie Beth

sb said...

Hi Chrystal, It sounds like your trip to Cowtown was great! I remember our drives up from APU many years ago. :o) So glad that the kids enjoyed their first trip to Vacaville. Your mom and grandpa look wonderful. I can't believe how grown-up Breanna is. Time does fly! I bet the drive north was a little nicer in the mini-van than in your little Nissan. The real question, though, McGee, is did you take Highway 12?? :o) Sarah