Monday, August 25, 2008

Perhaps I Overreacted?

"Time to clean up."
"Put away your toys, please."
(Insert catchy little Clean Up song here)
"Let's clean up."
"Mama said CLEAN UP!"
"CLEAN UP NOW!!!"

This is how my end of the conversation went yesterday. Actually, this is usually how it goes everyday. But yesterday, I was done being ignored. After my third request to clean up was seemingly disregarded, I grabbed a couple of big laundry baskets and started loading up the toys. The kids sat on our "time out" step, I think in disbelief. Justin was completely silent. Natalie just kept saying, "Stop it, mama." Lexi was soon transferred to the potty, so she missed the rest of my toy evacuation, but she got the idea. I left a basket of books, but that was pretty much it.

So, it's good news, bad news. The good news is, I think next time they'll do much better when it's time to clean up their toys (at least for a day or two, right!?) I think they understand I'm expecting them to listen... and obey. The bad news is... well, there's no toys! Which means it doesn't take long until they're looking to mom and dad for constant entertainment.

I'm completely perplexed as to how I am able to get a classroom of 35 kids to follow procedures, listen to directions, and take responsibility for themselves. But here at home..... not so much.

5 comments:

Shae said...

I'm not laughing at your utter frustration Crystal.. I'm laughing at the simple realization that we, as parents, are CONSTANTLY ignored by our children. If I could count, the number of times I've personally said 'Clean up'.. I'd be a millionaire =). I don't think you over reacted by scolding the children Crystal.. I think you what any reasonable parent does from time to time.. we lose our tempers. Even though we don't mean to yell or punish them, sometimes, it's the only way for them to TRULY listen and respect us. Keep being persistant... things will get better !

Shannon Renee Photography said...

the picture of the empty bookcase is something they will always remember. That's hilarious!

christian said...

I think that you have to sometimes take things away in order to get your point across. I think it's often more effective to lose something that they love, even for a day. Way to go, new mommy! The guilt sometimes comes, but remember that it's the principle you're trying to teach. They'll get their toys back, perhaps with better listening ears the next time you command their attention! :)

Anonymous said...

Often when children take their parents for granted but follow the directions of or are more repectful toward other adults, like teachers, it can be because they feel safe with their parents. It may well be that your children really know that you love them unconditionally. That's the best first step ever. However, now you'll spend years teaching them to mind! Maybe it isn't such a bad payoff. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Oh you guys are SO mean! haha I loved the part when Lexi said "stop it, mama." So cute.