Monday, July 28, 2008

It's a Zoo Around Here


Since we sort of live in one... we decided we'd make a trip to the ZOO!

It was a little too hot and Natalie and Justin spent much of the day arguing about who was going to ride in the stroller, but other than that we had a good time! Around the dinner table tonight we found out that Justin's favorite animal was the lion. Natalie said her favorite was the giraffe. Lexi didn't really tell us, but judging from today's experience, I'd say her favorite part of the zoo was standing under the water mister.

We were all exhausted by the end of the day. Walking around with the 3 kids and a stroller reminded me of our time in Russia. It already seems like ages ago, but we've only been home 26 days. (We were in Russia for 28 days!) All in all, we continue to do well. The kids are happy. It's hard to believe that only a few weeks ago, they spent their days in the confines of an orphanage. What an amazing plan God had for them, for us.

I do often find myself short on patience and just wishing everyone would BE QUIET for a minute. The noise is one thing I wasn't prepared for. They are so noisy! But I'm developing a filter for what's important. I also wish I had more one on one time with each of them. As far as that goes, I wish I had more one on one time with my bed and pillow! I'm not sure I'm ever going to get used to the early morning wake up call. It usually comes from Justin. A gentle poke in the back and a whisper,"Mama? Mama?" Unfortunately, he didn't come with a snooze button.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the snooze pic. The one on one moments will come, sometimes when you least expect them. However, you also need to plan them. Mel and I liked getting up in the morning - the only ones in the house that did - so, that was our time. Time to walk to the Village Vault for breakfast - very special times - wonderful memories.

ITGFY. WEL,

Uncle Larry

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the snooze button thing! I miss that! As far as one on one time...make sure to schedule that in. I have seen that with other families and it is really important to each child, especially since each has their own personalities. In September I am going to start a quiet time at a special place with Keely so that is just for her and mommy. Then on Saturday mornings when I get to go to a dance class ALL BY MYSELF (insert big smile) Keely and daddy will get their time. Keep it up. You are doing so awesome!

Rebecca Street said...

Great pictures! We went to the LA Zoo a few months ago as well and we were exhausted too. It is a big park! What a great experience for the kids. :o)

Jennifer said...

Great snooze pic. We have one of those also on a trip home from Big Bear earlier this year. We rotate the one-on-one times around our errands. They are just as happy to be with us individually on a trip to Costco or Home Depot as they are cuddling here at home. Plus, they usually get a treat when they go out one-on-one with us that we wouldn't normally give at home, so they often jockey for those trips with us. Those are precious times when we hear the depths of their hearts and their little secrets they don't want to share in front of the other kids. And, in regards to sleep...what's that?LOL We didn't get much the first two years between bed wetting and nightmares and all the other issues they came with, but, we are catching up now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott and Chrystal,

Peter and I are so happy for you all (including Baba and Grandpa!). You have had quite a journey. Enjoyed reading about it. We thought about you, Scott, on your birthday. Peter and I remember that day well. The question was whether your mom would be able to sing at our wedding on the 3rd if August! She did, of course! God is so faithful and He will honor your commitment to these precious children. May He give you the wisdom you need for today.
Peter and Celeste Persson, Austria