Thursday, July 31, 2008

Streams in the Desert - July 31

A friend gave me the devotional Streams in the Desert right before we left for Russia last month. I've really enjoyed it and it speaks to my heart everyday... um, that is, everyday I make time to read it.

Today's entry especially caught my attention. We have friends that are in Russia right now, meeting their new son. Wow, that brings back memories. They've waited a long time, like we did. They've faced many challenges regarding their agency and the adoption process, like we did.

In the wait, when there was no news, no sign, no encouragment, it made us wonder if we were doing the right thing. Is there some other path we should have taken? Did we miss an exit somewhere? (Probably, because I was distracted by trying to figure out my bluetooth... hate that thing.)

Scott and I spent the better part of 3 years in a place marked with uncertainty, but we chose to stay the course. The last clear word we had heard from the Lord said to stay the course. Often, there were no signs, no maps, no gut instincts... only faith in the unseen.

So, if you're waiting for something today, maybe you'll be encouraged by these words:

Streams in the Desert, July 31

"With skillful hands he led them." Psalm 78:72

When you are unsure which course to take, totally submit your own judgement to that of the Spirit of God, asking Him to shut every door except the right one. But meanwhile keep moving ahead and consider the absence of a direct indication from God to be evidence of His will that you are on His path. And as you continue down the long road, you will find that He has gone before you, locking doors you otherwise would have been inclined to enter. Yet you can be sure that somewhere beyond the locked doors is one He has left unlocked. And when you open it and walk through, you will find yourself face to face with a turn in the river of opportunity- one that is broader and deeper than anything you ever dared to imagine, even in your wildest dreams...


I must admit that I did not always carry myself with grace as we were on the journey. As I think about it now, I realize that the Lord often carried me with His grace. But, here we are today, in the midst of something greater than we could have imagined. Greater doesn't always mean happiest or most exciting, but it certainly means something amazing. Our journey continues. Our need for grace continues. Our need to trust that God will lock and unlock doors continues.

If you are reading this today,
God Bless You

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, you are such a blessing! And your family is blessed because of you :)
I needed to read this today.

Jennifer said...

o.k., you had to go and make me cry with the devotional and then the chalk family...

Shae said...

I'm printing this and taking it with me. We have a convention to attend and have to leave the kids behind (first time). I'm having a REALLY hard time with it... just reading this gives me comfort. Thank you Crystal ~!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I truly admire your grace through all of this and anyone who knows you is aware that His grace shines through your family. I'm in constant awe of your honesty and poise. Looking at the family pic is just one more reminder that it was His plan...but is that a cobra by the "F" in family? I didn't know you were into snakes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouragment. I can't express how much your honesty and heart have helped me to not lose hope. I admire your strengh. Hope to visit soon.

Shannon

Melanie Pinkus said...

This is beautiful! As many others have said you are a blessing. Thanks for sharing!